Lean Lamb Mince
All our Lean Lamb Mince comes from our farm here at Hillstown. We are very fortunate to be able to produce grass very easily and allows us to grow lambs without the need of grain. This produces a very healthy lamb. We are very passionate about high welfare, healthy and sustainable farming.
Our grass fed Lean Lamb Mince comes from the shoulder and is well trimmed to make it super lean. Perfect for lamb burgers or a delicious shepherds pie.
Here’s a really delicious recipe for a proper shepherds pie.
- Heat 1 tbsp Broighter Rapeseed oil in a medium saucepan, then soften 1 chopped onion and 2-3 chopped carrots for a few mins.
- When soft, turn up the heat, crumble in 500g lamb mince and brown, tipping off any excess fat.
- Add 2 tbsp tomato purée and a large splash of Worcestershire sauce, then fry for a few mins.
- Pour over 500ml beef stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 40 mins, uncovering halfway.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C/ fan 160C/ gas 4, then make the mash. Boil the 900g potato, cut into chunks, in salted water for 10-15 mins until tender. Drain, then mash with 100g butter and 4 tbsp milk.
- Put the lamb mince into an ovenproof dish, top with the mash and ruffle with a fork. The pie can now be chilled and frozen for up to a month.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling through at the edges. (To bake from frozen, cook at 140C for 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if you like.)
- Leave to stand for 10 mins before serving